Celebrate Lunar New Year in Downtown Metuchen with the Metuchen Downtown Alliance and the Metuchen Human Relations Commission!
In 2023, the Lunar New Year begins on 22 January 2023 and lasts until 9 February 2024. While most of Asia celebrates the Year of the Rabbit, Vietnam celebrates the Year of the Cat; in both zodiacs there 12 animals represented with only the 4th animal (rabbit and cat respectively) as differing.
Learn about the culture and history of this special day, dance with Lion Dancers and enjoy crafts and stories to celebrate the day throughout local businesses.
Schedule of Events
- Opening of event and classical dance with Elizabeth Ma
- Lion Dance performance at Metuchen Town Plaza with Metuchen High School Asian Heritage Club
- Korean fan dancer troupe, Korean sword dancing, Korean drummers
- Professional Lion Dance Performance and parade through New Street and Main Street
Downtown Metuchen Business Specials
- Akihi Bubble Tea – Special dragon soda to celebrate Lunar New Year
- Awesome Yo Bakery – Special Lunar Year cookies
- Be My Guest – Bulgogi sliders sold on Metuchen Town Plaza
- Cai’s Cafe – Special Lunar New Year drink special
- Cinnaholic Metuchen – Our gourmet roll frosted with orange frosting, topped with fresh strawberries, receive a special red envelope with every purchase of the Lunar New Year roll.
- DiCosmo’s Italian Ice – Special Lunar Year hours from 11am to 4pm with special, custom flavors to celebrate
- Hatch 44 – Special rose, lychee latte available Friday to Sunday
- King’s Strength & Performance – Special 2023 Lunar New Year t-shirt with proceeds of all sales to Stop AAPI Hate (Order Form)
- NewMarket Metuchen – Origami making class with Frances Ho. Specialty products and decor on sale for Lunar New Year
- Pastry Lu – Special Lunar New Year pastries
- Picture Perfect – Special Lunar New Year photo sessions with decor
- Terrace Plant Shop – Special jade plants to celebrate the Lunar New Year
- What’s the Scoop – Small batch flavors including ginger, lychee sorbet and red bean ice cream. Special red envelope with purchase of a Lunar Year Flight.